For more information about of the article series, see this post: How To Grow Your Small Business With WordPress
In this article, we present some statistics about WordPress that will help you understand why millions of businesses around the world rely on WordPress and what kind of people and businesses are using WordPress today.
WordPress: Facts And Figures
A brief summary:
- WordPress began in 2003.
- WordPress is available as a hosted platform (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable application (WordPress.org).
- 23 out of every one hundred new domains registered in the U.S. are for installing a new WordPress website.
- There are over 60 million installations of WordPress. This number is growing everyday.
- Over one-sixth of all websites around the world are driven by WordPress.
- More than 60% of all sites worldwide using a content management system are driven by WordPress.
- Over 30 million searches are made on Google each month for WordPress related terms.
- The WordPress application is completely free to download, use and modify. WordPress is built using an open source content management system.
- WordPress code is continually built by volunteers. Thousands of people from all around the world work on developing and improving WordPress functionality each day.
- WordPress is updated on a regular basis to fix bugs and improve both its usage and security.
- WordPress delivers content online to visitors worldwide. WordPress has been translated and localized into over 70 international languages and dialects.
- The WordPress repository currently makes available thousands of free WP plugins, themes and widgets to WordPress users.
- There is virtually no limit to what you can do with WordPress.
WordPress CMS Popularity
WordPress started in 2003. It was originally a simple program developed by co-founders Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. WordPress is now the widely-used self-hosted CMS application in the world, used on millions of sites and seen by tens of millions of people every day.
WordPress is owned by Automattic.com, which currently employs around 300 people, all of whom work from home. Despite its distributed model and having so few employees, WordPress.com (the hosted version of the WordPress software) currently attracts more unique views per month than Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, Twitter and eBay …
Here are just some of the latest statistics on WordPress usage:
WP CMS usage stats
For example, at the time this post was written, here is the current number of downloads of the latest WordPress version …
Note: The above download figures represents only the most recently released version of WordPress. Less than half of all current users have upgraded their installations to the latest release …
As this post was being written, the number of downloads was already increasing. If you were to click on the link above and visit the WordPress download counter page, you you will see a much higher download figure … perhaps even a newer version, as WordPress continually updates the software to fix security issues and bugs, and add improved or new features.
Regarding updates, WordPress has made available over 100 new software updates to date …
(Over 100 new WordPress versions have been made available to date)
WordPress currently releases a new software version every 3-4 months or so …
(WordPress regularly releases new software versions honoring famous Jazz musicians)
Interestingly enough, all major WordPress version updates are named in honor of famous Jazz music artists, eg:
- v.2.0 = Duke Ellington (December 31, 2005),
- v.2.6 = McCoy Tyner (July 15, 2008),
- v.3.2 = George Gershwin (July 4, 2011),
- v.3.4 = Grant Green (June 13, 2012),
- v.4.1 = Dinah Washington (December 18, 2014),
- etc …
Who Is Using WordPress
Popular corporations, business of all sizes, technology companies, celebrities, politicians, famous artists, colleges, government sectors, not-for-profits – even nations use WordPress-powered sites …
WordPress.org Site Showcase
Here are just some of the many sites, companies and people who are using WordPress:
- Businesses & Companies: Sony Music, YRC Freight, Groupe Renault, McDonald’s Singapore, Vogue, etc …
- Celebs, Politicians, Sports Stars, Artists & Musicians: Alanis Morissette, Rush, Kylie Minogue, Brian Smith, The Sacramento Ballet, The Rolling Stones, William Shatner, Howie Mandel, Russell Brand, etc …
- Colleges & Educational Institutions: University of Manitoba Today, International Relations Online at American University, UCF College of Medicine, MIT Sloan Management Review, etc.
- Magazines & News Media: Time Inc., New York Post, FiveThirtyEight, Dusty Cartridge, etc.
- Governments, Public Services & Community Organizations: Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of African Art, Chicago Weather Center, Maryland National Road Association, CURE International, Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, etc.
- Businesses clearly prefer the self-hosted version, which can be installed on their domain and freely modified to suit their needs. In fact, most WordPress self-hosted installations are used for business activities.
- More than half of all WordPress users use the hosted version on WordPress.com
- In 2014, WordPress blogs (blogs hosted either on WordPress.com or self-hosted WordPress sites) published on average 17 new blog posts every second (around 1.5 million per day).
WordPress (Hosted Version) – Activity Woldwide
General Statistics About WordPress
(WP plugin directory)
We have published a comprehensive article about plugins here: Using WordPress Plugins Extend Your Website’s Features
For more information about themes go here: Understanding WordPress Themes – A Practical Guide For Newbies
WordPress has been translated and localized into over seventy languages in addition to English …
The search term “WordPress” alone receives around 2.7 million searches per month on Google. Including WordPress-related terms (e.g. “WP themes”, “WP plugins”, “WordPress tutorials”, etc. brings the total number of searches online for WordPress terms to more than thirty-seven million …
(WP searches online)
According to WordPress’ own “State of the Word” 2014 survey, 25% of all users who answered the survey stated that they make a full-time living off the WordPress CMS. An earlier survey conducted by WordPress (2012) also found that the median hourly rate of WordPress projects is US$50.
According to Upwork, typical WordPress job cost ranges are between $10 – $500 …
As you can see from the facts and figures presented above, there is no end in sight for how much further WordPress can continue to grow.
In other blog posts, you will learn:
- Why WordPress is the best platform for growing your business online,
- Over fifty reasons why you should choose WordPress for your website or blog, including a comprehensive breakdown of the benefits, features and advantages of using the WordPress CMS platform,
- How to automate your business marketing with WordPress,
- How to generate targeted traffic, get more leads and subscribers, and how to sell more products and services with WordPress.
- Plus, we’ll provide lots of tutorials and examples of how to use WordPress to grow your business online, while also saving thousands of dollars on web development and web design costs.
The information for this article was sourced from various locations around the web, including the following sites:
If you’re wondering why your blog isn’t performing as well as you hoped, my guide, 5 Simple Fixes You Can Do Today to Get More Visitors and Generate More Revenue is just a quick click away. Fill out the form below to have it sent to you pronto!